View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarlowe View Post
For me, what makes me love Dropbox more and more is their stability and security. I asked them once if I would lose my existing files if I fail to make a payment to them in any month, and they said 'No, but you won't be able to sync anything new'. I don't wanna wake up one morning to find all my files gone (like it happened with streamload, sugarsync and mediafire). So yeah, 2GB ain't seem like much but if you want to have peace of mind and can't afford to lose your files then Dropbox is IMO the best way to go. I do wish that Dropbox used more BW when syncing files, but in spite of my settings that doesn't seem to happen. That is one minor annoyance I have with them.

Or you can use google drive (you get 15GB free) and let the big G sneak into your files whenever they want :
http://bradlowrey.net/articles/googl...le-of-privacy/

I once used copy.com and their transfer speeds (Via mover) are terrible. Box.com IMO limits you by filesize, unlike Dropbox. So yeah, lots to consider when choosing a cloud storage which goes above and beyond the 'how much space I am getting' mindset (no offense intended)
We (my company) push thousands of files, literally, through Dropbox on any given month. All our production runs through Dropbox for QA, etc., before it gets shipped to the client. This way, everyone has every file at their fingertips, all the time. All the pre-production materials (images, cover files, manuscripts, PDF's, audio, video, you name it). I pushed 3 different zip files, just today, 2 over 2gigs, one over 3gigs--and that was only today.

I personally keep ~115GB of DBox space on my own computers available at any given time, and all my staff have 100GB accounts, otherwise we overdrive their accounts all the time. Right this second, I purportedly have 15,399 images in DB (tempts me to upload one, right?), and I don't think they count "files," per se. We've recovered files that we quoted and deleted six months ago, so...I'm a fairly big dropbox fan.

FWIW. I'm obviously a DB fan. Couldn't live without it.

(all that being said, however: we also run RAIDS, and we backup to AmazonS3 servers nightly, AND we run a full-backup weekly. AND our production management system, Teamworks, runs their own Amazon S3 backups, which ALSO has a copy of every single file, plus archives of finished projects and all their production materials. To say I'm paranoid about data loss would be the understatement of the year.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote