View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #323
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
...Did like the presence of a regular USB port, is that port posted so you can use a non-powered USB hub with it?
Yes, you can.

I really like the Surface RT, that you've seen in Media Markt.
But quite frankly, I slightly prefer Dell Latitude 10.
I don't have any problems with Windows RT per se. But I'm still missing some "essential" apps.
On Dell Latitude 10, being a full blown Windows 8 Pro device, so far I have been able to run 99% of the (legacy) software I've tested.
Only exception: I wasn't able to run BlueStacks, when briefly trying. But it was a version, specifically for the Microsoft Surface Pro. So I guess, the Atom processor in Dell Latitude 10 isn't adequate. But for the rest, I really like the Windows tablets.

Yes, desktop mode is a bit flimsy (hitting relatively small icons and menus with your finger). The WACOM pen on Latitude 10 certainly helps, so will the pen on Surface Pro.
Still, I have to admit: Desktop mode is not perfect.
But on the other hand, it offers sheer endless possibilities, compared to iOS or Android.
And Metro mode (or whatever it is called nowadays), in my opinion, absolutely can compete with usability of iOS and Android.

So I went for the Latitude 10, because I didn't like the fan on Sony Duo 11 and Toshiba Satellite U920.
With its ARM processor, no fan is needed.
And it's powerful enough as my "travel companion" on the train.

But I absolutely love the design, touch and feel and form factor of Surface RT.
So I had to wait for its "big brother", of course.
I'm a bit anxious about the fan.
Most reviews state, you don't even hear it.
Others state exactly the opposite ("like a hoover").

But the rest, being similar to Surface RT, should be fine.

Re. the weight of Surface RT, you've experienced:
Some state, they find it nearly impossible to hold in portrait mode.
For one, it's very narrow (16:9 vs. 4:3).
Second of all, it's balanced differently than other tablets because of the longer lever (and maybe even the position of some innards).
Honestly, I mainly use it in landscape mode, quite contrary to most other tablets.
But I'm perfectly fine in portrait mode as well, for example for my home newspaper "Süddeutsche Zeitung".
I always have been a fan of such narrow units, did love Sony 900 for example.
I hold it differentyl than other tablets.
iPad I always hold at the bottom. I basically rest it on my right hand and support it with my fingers. I'm not enthusiastic about its curved edges, but it's workable.
Surface RT, I hold on the side in the middle. Close to the Windows button. Works for me.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-03-2013 at 03:18 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote