View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #139
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Good luck with the submissions.

I've got so much going one here at the moment that I've barely written a word in the last few months, and I miss it a lot. There are times when I feel like taking the phones off the hook, slamming the door shut and pretending I'm not here. I keep promising myself that I'll find the time ... and then the phone rings again. Soon, I keep promising, soon.
Thanks Geoff.

I know the feeling. And when the phone rings it takes ages to pick up the thread again. Concentration is very fragile.

Marlowe, all too true!

I wrote out an action list the other day to try to improve my focus.

SWITCHING OFF

Here's how to make the study distraction free:
  • Take landline handset and mobile phone out of the study.
  • Go to the bathroom before sitting down to write (!).
  • Shut the door.
  • Turn off the power to the speakers.
  • Turn off ChromeOS notifications.

If really determined:
  • Close browser and only open what's needed to write.
  • Kill internet.

Before writing any scene:
  • Jot down the beats for the scene in Workflowy, and have that open behind Docs
  • Stand up, stretch and breathe
  • Visualise the action in the scene as a movie
  • Sit down and write without editing

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote