Thread: Calibre 4.2
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #46
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was said by Kovid that the reason for seeing the unformatted eBook and then seeing it formatted is due to an old video driver.
I respectfully disagree with this assessment. Iíve seen it a couple of times on my netbook, but chalked it up to my computer needing a second to redraw the display. Atom processor, low memory, nondescript videoÖ it makes sense. Limited resources take their toll in the form of time.

While itís true that offloading that task to a GPU can speed it up and make the refresh effectively invisible, thatís not at all the same thing as blaming the slow refresh on an outdated driver.

I will observe that I did not see this two-step refresh on 3.x, though. I can definitely tell that calibre 4.xís rendering engine is first displaying the default HTML styles, then applying the ebookís stylesheet(s) with a refresh.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote