View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Amazon charges Kindle users for free Project Gutenberg e-books

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas..._users_fo.html
I ran into that story on another forum. It's essentially bottom-feeders putting up public domain books for sale through Amazon's self-publishing thingie (I'm pretty sure about this but not 100% - couldn't figure out a way to see how some of these books are published for the few examples I found - it said "Amazon digital services" for publisher ).

Same thing's happening to B&N's pubIT (I'm on firmer ground there). Several regular B&N customers are not happy about that - they say (loudly on the forum) that it clutters up their new release browsing on the nook and on the site and also go on to demand that there be a filter to weed out all pubIT books (since they apparently overwhelm any attempts at getting reasonably long lists to browse through). Plus, as you can imagine, the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty pathetic in the self-published works (not because indie authors are incompetent - far from it - but because of the bottom-feeders I alluded to before).

Mind you, that doesn't mean either of them are in the clear over this. They are ethically bound to filter out stuff like this before allowing someone to self-publish.

Edit: Just saw another thread on this exact story - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109414

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 12-01-2010 at 05:11 PM.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote