View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
First suggestion: ignore me because I am not a good example for how to promote your books. (I exist here and pretty much nowhere else - except, of course, actual resellers like Amazon, etc., and I do almost no self-promotion.)

Second suggestion: remember vydorscope? he used to be a regular here. He posted My Journey To Self Published Success on his website. (Apparently he has been so successful that he feels no longer feels the need to talk to us wannabes , Just kidding, Vincent!) That article makes good reading and matches up with what I've read elsewhere over the years: you need a good sized backlist of books (you have those), and you need a good marketing strategy to become visible - Vincent's article offers an excellent example of how that might be done.

Third suggestion: I still think this advice from Hugh Howey is worth revisiting to remind yourself what self-publishing is about.

And, after reading those, you will probably work out that - IMO - the only 3rd party book promotion sites worth being on are those that sell your books - because that is where the majority your potential new readers are likely to find you. So get together a strategy, like that described by Vincent, to get yourself in front of readers on sites that sell your books for an extended period.

No strategy is a guarantee, but some combination of backlist, visibility and writing that "breakout" book that people finally notice is what you are striving to hit. I don't know of any 3rd party promotion site that will offer you anything close to what you might hope for by marketing new releases in an effective manner with resellers.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote