Thread: Playster?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdanzie View Post
Catlady, are you still using Playster and liking it?
I am still subscribing to the $10/month plan for audiobooks. My next renewal date is coming up in another week and I'm not sure if I'll continue. Probably I'll stay for another month.

The selection is good, but the app is annoying. I have been using an extra unactivated phone to download books rather than stream them; sometimes, even though a book is supposedly completely downloaded, and all the chapters are listed, the playback will just end. I've had to reconnect to the site, remove the book, and redownload it. Other times, while downloading, the process will hang; however, all the parts did actually download--if I check the last chapter, it's there.

There doesn't seem to be a way to delete a book while offline. And when online, some books that I've tried to delete haven't actually gone away--they've been deleted from my list in the app, but not from the device. I've gotten rid of them by re-adding them and then deleting again, which is downright silly.

Listening with the app isn't pleasant--some books are divided into small segments (under ten minutes), and at each segment there's an annoying bleep-y sound; sometimes the start of a segment will skip (imagine jolting the needle on an old record player) and, more often, there will be an annoying pause (When I re ... ... ... turned; or It was fi ... ... ... ve o'clock). When a book has been divided following the actual chapters, it's bearable, but with short segments, it can drive a person crazy. These defects are not in the files themselves--rewind and play again, and the pauses and skipping are gone.

I've kind of given up on borrowing newly released books from Playster if they are offered through Overdrive. I'd rather be on a long waiting list at the library than struggle along with the Playster app. Instead, I've been working my way through a lot of older books my library doesn't have and presumably won't be getting.

So ... mixed feelings about Playster.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote