View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The American way to deal with pirates--call in SEAL Team 6.

But seriously, pirates are bad for authors no matter what spin these guys try to put on it. And I find it difficult to believe that 50% of eBooks are pirated. We are not talking about software or music.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 50% of the ebooks are pirated. They're not saying that 50% of people who read ebooks are pirates. There's a difference.

People who pirate books are more likely to have far more ebooks than those who pay for them. It is quite likely that the number of pirated ebooks floating around is 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The majority of people who read are probably at least a little better educated and intelligent, but not as prone to being geeky enough or dishonest enough to steal books. Yes many of us here know how to strip DRM, though I suspect we are in the minority within the whole eBook community. But we strip the DRM to make a book easier to read on our equipment and to make sure we will always have a usable copy of it. Most of us don't distribute those stripped copies to others.
Those are broad generalizations that might make members of MR feel good, but there's no way to know if that is accurate. Honestly, you have no clue what the percentages are. Neither do I.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote