View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post

I've mostly been reading Star Trek.

Although I don't care for space opera
Does...not...compute...

Star Trek is about the most operatic that space opera can get.

Not all of the following will meet all of your criteria, but authors to concider:

William Gibson
Charles Stross, especially Iron Sunrise and Singularity Sky and Glasshouse
Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos
Alastair Reynolds
Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga and Void Trilogy
Robert J. Sawyer
Neil Stephenson
Peter Watts, especially Blindsight
Richard K. Morgan

Vernor Vinge has already been mentioned, and Fire and Deepness are great, but I'd start with Marooned in Realtime. Ideas from that novel have stuck with me pretty much constantly over all the years since the first time I read it. (I'm always thinking of situations where it would be useful to have bobbles.)

Which reminds me of something else (totally unrelated) that also has memorable moments/memorable lines that stick with me-- the short story The Light of Other Days by Bob Shaw and the novel The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter. And The Gentle Seduction by Marc Stiegler.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote