View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #17402
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Next up is another indie novel, Head of Words by Chris Ward. I've previously read and reviewed a post-apocalyptic drama from this author (The Tube Riders) that I really enjoyed. However, this one is more of a contemporary drama. It starts by describing a small flat in Bristol shared by 13 people and a dog.

Seems like an excellent opening to me.
OK - been a while and I've read a couple of books now.

Head of Words was an interesting psychological mystery. The first half bordered on the hilarious, but in the second half it became much darker. The mystery itself was revealed pretty early so it's mainly a matter of seeing what happens rather than uncovering anything particularly new. A 4 star read though.

Snow Burn by Joel Arnold was a brief, intense YA suspense novel. It was very short, almost a novel length short story, but the mood was there and it was dark while still having a good YA feel to it. Might possibly suit boys more than girls.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy has sat on my bookshelf for years waiting to be read. It was time. Man Booker winner in 1997, the book is set in India and tells the story (in a very meandering way) of a death and its far-reaching consequences to a family, especially two non-identical twins. I enjoyed the book. A strong 3-3.5 star rating.

The Passage by Justin Cronin. Another book clamouring for attention for a couple of years in my bookshelf. I finally took the plunge and cracked it open. I've always liked vampires but have been put off them by the endless paranormal romances still in fashion. It was nice to get stuck into a vampire tale that's more my style.

I'm currently reading Sleight Malice by Vicki Tyley for my review site. About a third of the way in and it has been OK so far. Interested to see where it's heading.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote