Thread: Sony or iRiver?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Hi Afa,

I'd go for whichever device that you can find at a store in your area, and which you can actually hold and try before you buy. I'd also try and find out what the local support for a device would be if you did have any problems.

The readers I've seen have all been relative so-so for the price. The displays were all pretty much the usual grey on grey. They also all seem to have some restrictions regarding formats. I have an iRiver Story and it seems no better or worse than anything else I've tried. Adding books is a simple matter of hooking it up to the main computer via USB and dragging and dropping. The epub books at WH Smith should work fine on it, but of course the Kindle format stuff direct from Amazon won't.

We've had no 'issues' with ours at all, but it's only used for my wife to read novels. Some are DRM free, and others are protected, but they have all worked as expected. I have a broader requirement, so the netbook/tablet style of small computer suits me best, but my wife is happy with the iStream. As far as I can recall, there is no built in iBabble dictionary, but you could presumably add one as another book. I expect there's some free or cheap ones out there,

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: I do seem to remember that I did do an online 'update' on the machine after I bought it, but it wasn't because I struck a particular problem. It's just the standard thing I do with any new gadget - check for any updates.

Last edited by ChrisC333; 04-19-2010 at 01:25 AM.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote