View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #121
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's the wrong way to think about it. Those "pages and pages" can have plenty happening, even if it's just a discussion that clarifies a point that's past, or one that is coming up. That's not "nothing"... it's an important part of the story. And in periods where, in fact, nothing is happening, you note that and move (write) past it. If you need additional material to fill seemingly empty areas, develop a sub-story that can develop in parallel to the main story (and, if possible, dovetail together nicely at the end).
Yes yes, but you know as well as I do that oft times these substories are not essential to the main plot. I don't mind them, but I've grown up in a media culture (movies, television, Internet) that tells their stories quickly and directly, without a lot of wandering around. I'm not saying you can't make the filler enjoyable; I'm just saying you have to write a hell of a lot of enjoyable filler.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote