View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #51
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Over here carriers often bundle the cost of the (locked) phone into the cost of the service contract.

Not saying that's right or wrong -- just the way it is.
Problem is, even in your statement you say "often", which doesn't mean always. T-mobile, and a few other carriers, allow you to buy the phone outright, no subsidy. Also, subsidies are designed to where you've paid off the difference in the phone (plus interest) by the time the contract is up. If you have a phone that is entirely paid for, either after contract expired or because you paid for out right, why should you not be allowed to unlock it? My last phone, I paid for out right. I ended up using it on another network, unlocked, because the network it was originally intended for was not available where I ended up living. Should the phone then be nothing but a paperweight, or should I be allowed to unlock it and use it elsewhere?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote