View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can hear the criticisms now: predictable and hopelessly clichéd. And I agree. As a whodunit, it failed miserably; I figured out early on who the culprit was, and while I didn't realize Alberto was the mummy, I certainly knew it was a confederate of Evelyn's cousin Lucus. The clichés were out in full force: who among us didn't realize from the moment they met that Amelia and Radcliff were perfect for each other? After all their bickering and criticism of one another, who didn't expect them to end up in each other's arms?

That being said, I loved the book. Elizabeth Peters played on my emotions shamelessly, and it worked. Even though I could see it all coming, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride—so much so that I just bought the sequel, The Curse of the Pharaohs.

This book satisfied. It made me feel good, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I loved this book--mainly because I fell in love with Amelia Peabody! She's one of those characters that make a book enjoyable. I think a really good mystery depends as much on having that kind of a character as in having an interesting plot. For instance, who is the most iconic detective in literature?--Obviously Sherlock Holmes. Yet Doyle's actual writing ability is mediocre and his mystery plots vary considerably in quality. But in the heel of the hunt he somehow got a magical mix with Holmes {and Watson}--so much so that his character has become the touchstone for every detective since then.

I think Peters has also created a remarkable detective with a very intense personality that I found irresistible. The other characters more or less circle in orbits around her.

Now this is the first time I have read a book by Elizabeth Peters. So can the rest of you who obviously have far more familiarity with her work tell me if Amelia continues to live up to her portrayal in this book? If so,I would be interested in reading more.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote