View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi3ryPh03n1x View Post

I'm here because I have a single eBook that the author has made a part of multiple series. So, I want my eBook to be assigned to multiple series and sort by series within all of them without having to duplicate the book for each. I've done some researching here and elsewhere for ideas on how to 'work around' this issue with custom series fields, etc. None of the solutions work for me, though, so I came up with an idea that I'd like to propose.

For my example below, I'll use one of my eBooks that fits this need: The Reversal, By Michael Connelly. It is part of both the Mickey Haller series and the Harry Bosch series and needs to be assigned accordingly. To accomplish this, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to allow multiple entries for the series column. It could be in a large box format... something like this:

`________________________________________________
|..Series.................................................. .|..Index..|
`------------------------------------------------------
|..Harry Bosch...........................................|...16.....|
|..Mickey Haller..........................................|..3.......|
|..NY Times Best Seller's Top 100 of 2010.....|..58......| (NYT is just an
|................................................. .............|...........| example, not
|................................................. .............|...........| actual data...)
|................................................. .............|...........|
|_______________________________________________|

Having more than one entry for the series would autmoatically 'ghost' the entry into two or more separate line items in the database. Clicking on any item to edit the entry would take the user back to the same entry since all the ghosts refer to the same item. Also, multiple entries for this field would not increase the book count, author count, etc. It would simply create multiple referrers for the same item.

Since I'm not a programmer, I don't really know how hard this would be to accomplish, or if the concept is even compatible with Calibre at all. But I have seen enough comments on the need for this feature to think it worthy of consideration, anyway.

Final output would be something like this. Embedded object wasn't working out, so you'll have to follow the link instead to see it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

All ideas welcome! Particularly interested in comments from programmers who understand the Linux foundation of this software and how my idea would/would not fit into that construct.

FP
Moderator Notice
Please don't Spam the forum with essentially the same idea (Merging from other threadfailed)

Last edited by theducks; 03-31-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: merge failed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote