View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
rglk
rglk began at the beginning.

Device: PC (Linux)
How do I download my Kindle books on to WLAN-only Kindle - have no access to WLAN

I'm interested in purchasing the cheapest Kindle in Germany (EUR 99, same model as the one for $79 in the US). It's only set up for WLAN transfer.

The problem is my sole Internet connection is through the G3 network, using a Huawei E173 Internet stick; I got no access (with password) to any WLAN router. How do I get the dozens of Kindle books I've got sitting on the Amazon server that are tied to my account with Amazon.com in the US on to this Kindle device?

So far, I've simply downloaded all these books from the Internet to the Kindle for PC program, running in Linux and WinXP on my laptop and my netbook. From many of these books (the ones that are mobi encrypted) I've removed the DRM, so that I can read them in Mobipocket Reader which I much prefer to Kindle4PC. I suppose I could simply copy these unlocked books over from my computer to the Kindle. Is that correct, doesn't it provide for file transfer via a USB connection? These unDRM'ed .mobi ebooks should then be readable on the Kindle, correct?

Unfortunately, that probably wouldn't work with the topaz-encrypted Kindle books of which I have at least a dozen (I no longer will buy any topaz-encrypted books from Amazon unless they greatly improve the primitive Kindle4PC program to which I'm completely tied with the topaz books).

In any case, that doesn't solve the problem of how to get all of my hundreds of $ worth of Kindle books on to the WLAN-only Kindle. Is there a way of turning my laptop, running Linux or WinXP, into a WLAN router that could send the Kindle books download from the Internet to the Kindle device and also email pdf's to it?
rglk is offline   Reply With Quote