View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #30
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
To answer myself: Yeah it runs , at least xarclock as can be seen in the picture. That was the first armel X11 application that I found in the debian archives. I'm actually thinking about trying to get Debian to properly run on the Kobo Touch, it seems that a few people already did this for the Kindle and it would be pretty amazing.

I had to adjust the Kindle xorg.conf to use the Kobo Touch RGB565 format and disable rotation, and fix a few minor things (missing directories since the init scripts weren't run and manually extract the xcb cramfs), but now I can just start X and display stuff. This opens a whole lot of new possibilities, I never realized that there was a working Xorg driver for this display.

The only thing that bugs me about this is that to refresh the display, I still need to use pickel to update the screen, thanks a lot to KevinShort for figuring this out. Look at eink_update.sh of his Kobo Weather display to see how it works.

Oh yeah and about running the Kindle software: It seems that it's not trivial to run upstart in a chroot, so that might be a hurdle. Does anyone have any idea what to do about that?

/etc/xorg.conf:
Quote:
Section "Serverflags"
Option "DontZap" "true"
Option "DontVTSwitch" "true"
Option "DontZoom" "true"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
Option "NoPM" "true"
Option "IgnoreABI" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "EinkPanel"
# DisplaySize 91 121
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Kscreen"
Device "eink"
Monitor "EinkPanel"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Visual "StaticGray"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "eink"
Driver "imx"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
# Option "FormatEPDC" "Y8"
Option "FormatEPDC" "RGB565"
# Option "Rotate" "CCW"
Option "NoAccel" "true"
Option "BackingStore" "true"
Option "debug" "true"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "keypad"
# Driver "evdev"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
# Option "CoreKeyboard"
# Option "AlwaysCore"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Kindle"
Screen "Kscreen"
# InputDevice "keypad"
EndSection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130126_145908.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	100080  

Last edited by ah-; 01-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote