View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
A point that has not been made anywhere is that in XHTML (which is what epub and mobi are based on) tab characters have no effect on the layout - they are simply whitespace and are treated like spaces. Also multiple whitespace characters (e.g. tab, space, newline) are condensed to a single space for display purposes. This is why you have to use styles or something equivalent to control layout.
Thanks for clarifying the non indent tabs talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lurker View Post
There were a few comments in your reply that suggest you might be starting to grasp my problem... but if I'm not mistaken, your response is basically, "Yeah, that's how Calibre works." In other words, you're merely acknowledging the limitations of Calibre without offering any possible work-arounds.
I could be 100% mistaken since I don't use rtf, but I believe I understand your problem and for the most part it is self inflicted. I provided you a solution which you never acknowledged trying. And yes, having calibre remove all paragraph spacing and insert indents on every paragraph is a giant alteration of a ebook that does come with limitations inherent in calibre.

You could do as Kovid suggested and save the rtf as web paged filtered then convert to mobi making sure you have a neg value under the indent size so calibre doesn't change your indents (see attached).

If you don't want calibre to change your paragraph indents during conversion then quit telling calibre to change your paragraph indents.

If you think this is a bug, submit a bug report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	look&feel.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	96870  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-26-2012 at 11:33 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote