View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Re the OP, I could not meaningfully comment on an abstract. However, I have access to a university library and was able to bring up the full article.

One important bit: The test was of the Sony PRS-600 vs. original iPad in normal indoor lighting only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
There's a difference to me despite what the study suggests.
Here's some of what they suggest:

Quote:
There was also a difference based on the device, with higher fatigue ratings for the LCD-device. However since this difference was already present at the pretest (T0) before any interaction with the reading device this effect represents a difference in baseline fatigue which persisted over time. Since it is the only measure which showed this baseline effect, this may reflect a negative subjective bias towards reading on a tablet from the beginning of the experiment. Interestingly the device × time-interaction did not approach significance suggesting that general fatigue increased in a similar manner when reading on one or the other device.
Perhaps I am being unfair to the authors by quoting a passage above that people can jump on. I have to recommend reading the whole thing.

I wonder whether there might be a difference because the iPAD is larger than the ideal size for plain text reading.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote