View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #52
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Here's a question, asked out of curiosity:

Would it be possible for a program like Calibre to simply leave the book files wherever they are upon import? Meaning, if a book is sitting on my desktop when I import it, the file is left there and the database points to it there. If the next book I import is sitting in My Documents, the same thing happens.

So, if you're not careful, you might have a database pointing to book files littered throughout the hard drive. But if you're careful, you could then have your own directory structure, with Calibre pointing to each book wherever you put it.

Even if this is possible, I completely understand that it's probably a decision that would've had to be made very early in the development cycle, and that it'd be a huge undertaking to change it now. I'm not suggesting such a change be made.

But what I'm wondering is, if this is possible, why was the decision made to handle files the way they are currently handled? Was it just to protect users who may not be aware of where they're storing their files? Or is there perhaps a more technical reason involving response times or something else?
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote