View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #393
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
So it seems that adding extra dictionary files directly to the .kobo directory doesn't fully work with the Aura running firmware 2.5.1. The dictionary becomes available for looking up words in a book, but the general Dictionary lookup function still claims that the dictionary is not installed and a Sync is required to get it. All the dictionary files are in the Kobo Desktop program folder on my PC, but the program won't sync with the reader unless it has an internet connection, in which case it will try to force the 2.5.2 update. Catch-22!

So, I understand there are two methods for preventing a firmware update:

a) Connect to PC, sync, delete the firmware update .tgz file from the .kobo folder before disconnecting from PC.

b) Change the firmware version number on the reader to one later than the update you are trying to prevent.

Has anyone verified method a) with the Aura? Are there any other files to be deleted other than the .tgz? (all the instructions are quite old, and might be a little out of date) Will the dictionary updates stick if the firmware update is not done?

I can't remember seeing any details of method b), just a mention of it. Can anyone point to the details?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote