Thread: Battery life!
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #280
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm View Post
I read somewhere here that the battery meter isn't linear or accurate, ie. the first bar will go quicker than the last bar, or vice versa.

I wasn't really paying attention, but may have noticed the first bar will disappear much quicker than subsequent bars.
...mine seems to be be-bopping between full and one bar down last I remembered to check yesterday... hasn't shut down from no power so I have continuing confidence if a good batt and likely accurate as it gets sw meter icon...

[EDIT]
Bouncing between 1 & 2 bars gone now...

also noticed that it went to sleep while in the sideloaded book but that seems to be because I fell asleep reading or forgot to try sleeping it and it went to sleep by itself which it seems to have a pretty short timeout for...
[/EDIT]

...just have those nasty power down instead of sleep w/sideloaded book now. It's even happening when I exit the book to the I'm Reading screen where earlier I could still get it to reliably sleep from that screen and the first day it just always slept normally w/the same book sideloaded... this is offtopic though and I gather that it's supposed to be fixed w/next fw update...

[EDIT2]
...ahh found this official comment buried in the dim past wrt sleep/power off:
"1) Your Kobo Reader will now go to sleep after 15 minutes. This was the best balance between usability and battery life.
2) Your Kobo Reader will power off after being idle for 30 minutes, and a new very obvious power off screen will appear."

Both of which seem kind of silly as the CPU/system should be in a low power state already once a new page has been rendered... my PRS-505 never needed to power itself down and still had AWESOME(well, as expected compared to LCD devices) battery life...

The OP also mentioned something about people being confused about poweroff state w/Covers displayed... personally I just wish that I could have the screen blank when it's powered off. The sleep mode message might be nice to distinguish between poweroff and sleep. Minor thing but it's something that I'd've liked to've been able to pick on my own, since when I expected don't show cover for it to show nothing, but oh well...

Batt meter icon was down to 3 bars last night, not sure how many page turns but I don't think that I'm going to get anything like 10k at this rate, but neither did the PRS-505 plus I did monkey around a bit on WiFi and poke through other things, e.g. various menu options, settings menus, etc.
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 02-18-2011 at 07:12 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote