View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Oasis 6", Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, etc.
Question Baffled by Sony Reader annotations

Hello.

Before I explain my problem I'll start with a few specific questions.

1. Where does Reader Library store annotations for books in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\Reader\Database\kLibrary, and can these annotations be backed up and/or restored to the Sony Reader?

2. What about for books in C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Books\Reader Library?

3. What are the files in C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Books\Reader Library\Manifest? Is this just e-book metadata?

Now for my problem. Yesterday I noticed that all of the annotations on my Sony Reader, which I've only had for a few weeks, had disappeared, with the exception of those after a certain point in the book I was reading. It appears the device has lost my entire history, although it did at least still open each book correctly to the last page accessed. However, on the home screen it showed books I had finished reading as "New" and, again, their notes were gone.

Before this happened yesterday I was reading an e-book on my Reader (a book that was originally in eReader PDB format), and I noticed that when I got to chapter 3 the font was suddenly smaller. I looked at every other chapter in the book and verified that only chapter 3 had the smaller font. I thought this was strange. Then later in the day I noticed that the font size for chapter 3 had returned to normal. After that I went to my list of notes and realized that all of my annotations for chapters 1 and 2 had disappeared, and I only had my notes starting from the beginning of chapter 3, the spot I had noticed the mysterious and temporary change in font size.

My main question is how I can avoid losing annotations and how I can restore them in the event they are lost. I tried replacing an eppub.annot file on the device with one that I had backed up (and then restarting the device), but the Reader seemed to ignore the new file. I called Sony tech support, but they obviously had no idea what I was talking about.

From what I can guess, the possible causes of the disappearance of my annotations are (1) a glitch that was somehow related to the temporary change in the font size displayed for just one chapter of the e-book I was reading, (2) the use of both Calibre and Reader Library to manage e-books on the device or (3) the fact that I replaced an image file on the device while it was connected to my computer, by overwriting it with a file of the same name. Thanks in advance for any information.
diamante is offline   Reply With Quote