View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
http://www.inquisitr.com/202733/amaz...et-in-q1-2012/

OK... while clearly the Kindle Fire (and the Kobo Vox, and the Nook tablets) can do more than your average e-reader, aren't they all still considered e-readers? To me an e-reader is any device where e-reading is the main purpose, and the primary way it's marketed. Presumably if people are buying the Fire instead of traditional e-readers, they are doing so because they want it for e-reading!

To me what this article is trying to say is that the Kindle Fire has affected e-ink e-reader sales, which is likely true. I know my girlfriend and I both got Kobo Vox e-readers over traditional e-ink e-readers, and while we can do all sorts of other things with them (and occasionally do), 90%+ of our time on them is spent reading.

So I don't see how the Fire has hurt the e-reading industry.
I think they mean dedicated eReaders, the Vox and Fire can do a lot more things than a dedicated eReader, but they do sacrifice battery life and glare on the screen. The Ipad can read books but that doesn't make it an eReader.

Someone could buy a Vox or Fire and never use it for reading and still enjoy it, not so much for a dedicated eReader.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-10-2012 at 11:57 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote