View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #2349
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Thanks for you post
I am good at waiting.

My PPW is Manga version without Ads and I have a tons of manga in my HDD.
I've waited 2 years to buy a PPW Manga, I can wait until it is supported and can be JBed

It may be too late for you, but I have an idea on jailbreaking the manga model.

Can you confirm your software version, and have you prevented it from ever doing a wifi update?

If you have not, this definitely will not work.

@knc1

I want to get your thoughts on this.

Right now, the manga model and the US PW3 appear to have the same download: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...ite_5.8.10.bin

I'm not ready to recommend anyone try this, because I have a differnt idea, but I am thinking about re-packaging this update into a FB02 package ( like the factory firmware ) , that has these three componenets.

uboot from 5.8.10 update
uImage from 5.8.10 update
rootfs from vulnerable PW3 5.7.4 update.

my understanding of the rootfs is that it should be separate from the uboot and the kernel ( uimage ), in enough ways that it should not brick the device., and the rootfs shoudl not have any hardware specific stuff that might break a pw3-32GB. I think the only significant differce between them are the board ID that are in uboot, and the amount of memory in uboot and the kernel, but I dont think any of the linux userland stuff is affected by that.

At least when I do a diff on the extracted rootfs from 5.8.1 and 5.8.10, I don't see any references to hardware.

What is your first impression on this based on gut feeling about how people have bricked before?

Last edited by coplate; 08-01-2017 at 08:28 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote