View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC the installer does let you choose some components like whether to put the icon on the desktop or install the start menu icons if you click Advanced.
I don't see that when I hit the Advanced button. Just the option to choose a directory.

Quote:
The only thing that occurs to me is whether costing can be completely disabled and instead values for the components can be supplied manually at installer build time.
Unfortunately there's no way for you to feed costing data to the installer at build time, since it has to know information about the installation state of the machine (what files/components already exist, what versions, etc).

Quote:
The other option is of course to put all the files into a zip file, but I dont really want to do that as it makes it difficult for people to monkey patch the install, something that is often used by calibre developers to get people to test small changes easily.
Yeah, that's not a very good option.

I played around with creating my own simple installer last night to see if I could suppress all of costing during the UI sequence. I ran into a problem where even if I suppress CostFinalize in the wix file a CostFinalize step is still added to InstallUISequence. This causes the MSI to immediately fail because CostInitialize is not in the sequence. If I manually remove CostFinalize from the MSI, it does work and seems to install correctly as long as you don't present any feature selection or disk space usage to the user. Unfortunately manually editing the MSI after generating it with Wix is a pain in the rear and not something I'd expect you to do (nor should you).

At this point, short of using something other than WIX I think we'll just have to live with the installer being annoying.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote