View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #24
fduniho
Zealot
fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle Touch, Fire, DX, Paperwhite 4; Rooted Nook ST; Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I'm also very interested but I would like to know how the following apps would look and function on this device.

Kindle
Scridb
Google Books
Audible

Would they look like a dedicated Kindle reader/Android tablet?.

Thanks.
I have used the Kindle and Google Books apps. Overall, the Kindle app is good to use, but it does have some drawbacks compared to using a dedicated Kindle. The most annoying is that it provides a smaller area for tapping to turn the page. You have to tap on the far right, and if you tap in the middle, it is like tapping at the top on a dedicated Kindle. Another annoying one is that it sometimes deletes my books, including my dictionary, on its own, requiring me to redownload them. My dedicated Kindles, a Touch and DX, have never done this. One more drawback is that it does not support custom fonts. You can use it only with the fonts that come with it. At least it comes with a good selection of fonts, including Bookerly, which I use by choice on my dedicated Kindles. One more font issue is that it provides a limited number of font sizes, and there is a point where there is too large of a gap between adjacent font sizes. I have not had this problem with the iOS Kindle app or with dedicated Kindles. With A2 mode off, you can get clean page turning, but it will be a bit slower. With A2 mode on, you can get faster page turning with some ghosting. The ghosting usually doesn't affect reading. The main reason for using a Likebook Mars over a dedicated Kindle is that the device itself has some advantages over recent Kindles. It is larger than a Kindle Oasis, it comes with warm lighting for reading at night, it has an audio port, and by being an Android device, it lets you use better browsers and run various Android apps.

The Kindle app does handle audio books. I do not generally listen to them, but I tried one out for a book on Kindle Unlimited. I stopped mainly because the narrator was reading the text differently than I would.

Google Books is another good reading app. I have not used it much on other devices, because I prefer to read on e-ink. I have read one book with it on the Likebook Mars, and it works well enough. It should behave the same as on other Android tablets, because the Likebook Mars is also an Android tablet, and it runs the same app as other Android tablets do.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote