View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
arnicas
arnicas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
USB device to turn the page

You folks seem like the experts for this question. I'd like to make (or get help making) a small external usb-connected external device to turn the pages. There are a few use cases for this, and you can see them pop up in various forums and threads around the net - but to recap:

1) People with arm injuries or pain: folks who do too much typing, or hurt their elbows, or people with Rheumatoid Arthritis - holding the Kindle with a crooked arm is painful or becomes painful after a long time.
2) Musicians apparently want to control page turns on their DX for music reading -- with, say, a foot control. (This is not my main goal now.)
3) People reading in bed who don't want to move their arms from the warm covers to turn the page (seriously, someone posted this)
4) Treadmill use. It's much easier if your arms are free to move, but okay to be holding a small wired device.

The question is, can you send a page turn event over the usb connector from, say, a mouse? It does NOT have to be fancy, just forward-and-backward buttons. It should not disable the use of the regular buttons on the Kindle, either, just work in tandem.

And the final question - could it work with any Kindle 3, or does it have to be hacked etc. Ideally this would be something one could offer to a wider audience (say, with Kickstarter funding, if anyone wants to work with me -- or do it themself, I just want the device). So I suppose the fundamental question is, can a page turn event be sent by usb cable device without any other mod to the device itself?
arnicas is offline   Reply With Quote