View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier58 View Post
I admit I'm a newbie. I had very carefully organized my 80 or so books into collections using the Sony software. Today, because I happened to be in a different location but had the opportunity, I downloaded/connected to both the Sony store and Calibre, and noticed that my carefully-crafted collections had been totally corrupted with 30 new collections, from...somewhere. I could probably dig through documentation to find this answer, but I figure you folks could probably tell me immediately how to prevent this in future.
Those collections were created by Calibre when you transferred books to your reader. By default Calibre will convert any tags or series associated with a book into a collection when that book is transferred to the device. Since you have tags and/or series associated with the books, collections were created.

What I'm saying is, without realizing it, you were the source of the 30 new collections.

You can prevent this in the future by just using one or the other software package to manage all of your books. If you insist on using both you can prevent calibre from creating collections on your device with the following.
In calibre go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins - Sony device interface - customize. See image attached. In the image I attached collections are created via Author_sort which means last name, first name. The window you just opened by default says tags, series delete these and calibre will never create collection on your device again.
If you choose to use calibre to manage your books you might want to limit what tags calibre automatically downloads from Amazon etc... (which is how your tags were most likely added to each book).
In calibre go to Preferences - Metadata download plugins and customize each of the three plugins by unchecking download tags. This way the only tags or series added to a book will be tags or series that make sense to you.
I hope this info helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_Device_interface_plugin.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	53103  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote