View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
The "Beyond" will be for the die-hards (like me) who like to squeeze out every last KB out of the EPUB (and where I can promote more ScriptPNG and/or other PNG optimization tools).

Or I might just split it into another Tutorial, and link to it from here, I haven't decided yet (need a few nights of rest, this was a lot of work).

I will definitely be doing a Tutorial on:

SVG -> PNG

(Was requested in this topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222825)

I might do:

Images of Tables -> LibreOffice Calc -> HTML

(Very wide tables, or pixelated JPG, or hideous ant-sized images with unreadable text).

and whatever else comes to my head.... I have stumbled upon so much stuff in my conversions, so I might as well teach others the methods that I use. Might save lots of people lots of time, and in the end, get higher quality books out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
I do want to warn about 16-shade pngs though. They display badly on some readers and some apps. See the thread I posted recently https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...51#post2633151

Jellby responded that it is a bug in the ADE engine, dealing poorly with 2-bit and 4-bit color.
Indeed. I noticed the same thing months ago when reducing my formulas to 4 color grayscale, my Nook rendered the formula PNGs with large "streaks".

I was going to be posting some of my information/tests in your topic within the coming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
I tried GMcG's suggestion for reducing to 16-shades and then back to 256 (8-bit). It does make a smaller size than an image with the full 256 shades, and in my testing came out about 10-25% bigger than the original 16-shade png. The resulting display seems to work fine. I was not working with web-safe palettes --- those would be a lot smaller, and should be fine for text.
Testing testing testing!!! I am glad to see you are still chipping away at those Tom Sawyer images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Uhmmm, Why don't use the codecogs site? You can save it as gif/png/svg and others. That would only require one step.
You have ruined me!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-24-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote