View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Harry my response to Joan, a new member*, does not contain judgement.

I hope if contains however, a 'welcome' tone.
It is precisely BECAUSE this is the time of year that we get people joining us who are new to eBooks, and possibly ignorant of copyright law, that I issue my warning to check what her friend has given her.

IF it's a collection of public domain works - eg from Project Gutenberg, or Google Books - then that's a wonderful gift, and I heartily wish her many happy hours of reading.

But if it's a collection of pirated books, she is potentially in very, very serious trouble. Consider that people are routinely fined $500 or so for downloading a single movie: the consequences of owning a collection of 62,000 pirated books could be financially catastrophic. If these books are not 100% guaranteed public domain (or other such free sources), I would urge her to immediately delete them from all her storage media and the Kindle, and report this so-called "friend" to the appropriate legal authorities without delay.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote