View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, you'd think with a book from 2005 they would have electronic copies on file. I know until recently they didn't keep electronic copies of books, don't know if back in '05 they were keeping copies or not.
They might not have been.

And declining production standards is endemic to the industry. I'm on a mailing list largely composed of people in publishing. There was a discussion on the list a while back between someone who worked for an editorial and production house that provided copy editing, proofreading, and typesetting services to publishers, and someone else who was an editor at a major publisher. The one working for the production house was unhappy about the decline in standards, and the increasing number of publishers who apparently couldn't be bothered to do things like copyedit and proofread before publishing books. The editor at the major publisher said "But those things are part of the production budget for the book, and are always done!" The response was "Maybe that's still true at your house, but it's increasingly less true elsewhere. I'm the one who gets to talk to folks who used to pay us to do this for them..."
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote