View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
fyre182
fyre182 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Prs-900 vs. prs-650 vs. prs-600

I have decided on buying an ebook reader! I recently purchased a nook, and I realized that it has the most abysmal pdf support I have ever seen in my entire life.

Literally, since all the new nooks aren't capable of being soft rooted, I cannot read any of my documents.

It is extremely important that I have a reader with very good pdf support. I believe that the k3 has sufficient support, so I looked at the k3 too.

I realized that I hated the idea of being locked into a single ecosystem. While the k3 certainly has a strong feature suite, i.e., an inline dictionary (this was also a deal breaker on the nook for me), decent pdf support, wifi, very low price, and text 2 speech support, I did not like the plastic nature of the reader or the lack of expansion capability and the abysmal mp3 player.

Some Background: I'm not rich - I'm currently a college student about to graduate and go to the peace corps - but I am certainly willing to pay for a quality product.

I currently subscribe to a digital magazine and intend to place my research papers, lab manuals, and other important documents on the reader. ALL OF THESE DOCUMENTS are in PDF format. I tried converting the pdfs to the epub format using calibre, but they - esp. the magazines - were completely unreadable and disorganized.

The Note taking and annotation would also allow me to do practice GRE exams on the SONY, an extremely valuable feature to me. I could export documents from school with the note sand print them out!

I esp. love the new prs-650s ability to zoom lock (I have many full image pdf books) and the prs-650's frequently looked up words list (it seems like a great way to remember words I may have trouble remembering). I also love the screen saver (a great way to post pictures reminding me why I'm trying to go to graduate school: to better support my family) ability of the new prs-650

I will also possibly be studying overseas (ASIA) for 2 years after june of 2011, so any known international features or asian language support would be a plus!

With all these major considerations in mind, please help me decide between these products at the following price points. THANK YOU again and again in advance, these forums have been a wealth of knowledge.

Prs - 600 - 120 + Free Ship = 120
Prs - 900 - 237 + Free SHIP = 237
Prs - 650 - 229 + 18 TAX and ship = 247
Kindle 3 - 149 + 0 TAX and SHIP = 149
Kindle 3 3g - 189 + 0 TAX AND SHIP = 189

A well reasoned response would be extremely helpful for this extremely indecisive student.
fyre182 is offline   Reply With Quote