View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Yalborap
Yalborap began at the beginning.

Device: none
A good cellphone for ebook reading from Verizon?

So, I just recently got into the whole ebook 'thing'. At the moment, I'm punching my way through the Dresden Files series on an old PDA, and loving it.

However, I'm also looking to consolidate things a bit, and I'm looking for a new phone at the moment...Which brings up the obvious option of getting some kinda smartphone and starting to read my ebooks on that.

The issue is, I'm with Verizon. So I can't go get an iPhone. Plus, I'd rather like a full QWERTY keyboard as well, limiting my options a bit...But let's see just what options I do have, eh? Here're the ones that I could find that looked decent, anyone have experience with them?

-HTC Touch Pro: Looks like it could be good, and it has a real keyboard. On the other hand, it runs Windows Mobile...Has that improved significantly since 5, or is it still going to be an exercise in frustration? Plus, that phone in particular has some bad reviews on Verizon's site, and while I don't put much stock in individual reviews, a 2.5 star overall rating says something...

-Samsung Omnia: Heard good things about this one, but it lacks a real keyboard and has a lower resolution than my PDA. Think those would come back to bite me in the ass? Plus, more Windows Mobile.

-Blackberry Storm: Better resolution than the Omnia and a non Windows Mobile OS, but still only a virtual keyboard, and will it actually work well? I heard some bad impressions when the Storm first came out...

-LG EnV Touch: Got the full real keyboard again, and an outer touchscreen too, with pretty good resolution. I like that, but how well does the thing actually work, and can I even get software for it, especially given Verizon's tendencies to lock their phones down hard?

So...What all do you guys think? Oh, and sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else.
Yalborap is offline   Reply With Quote