View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #123
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm not arguing with that point, I'm only questioning whether it's necessary for normal usage.
I agree that it may not be necessary for normal usage. But extra durability is certainly good to have since it can be critical under certain special cases. Just in case it is dropped or I may be bumped into another person while holding one in the airport. With similar logic, safety belt is not necessary for normal usage but it will make a cricital difference when a drunken driver rear-ends your car.

I think you assume that we have to pay premium for durability of plastic screen. It may be true at first, but when production gets efficient, the price can be as similar as or lower than that of glass product. In that case, I would expect anybody would prefer durable ones to less durable ones. For example, if irex starts making 1000DS with plastic screen and sells them at the same price as the glass screen one, I certainly will prefer plastic one to glass one.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote