View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I think S Note is part of the new software package coming with the 4.0 software update, which isn't available yet here in the U.S. I wasn't aware it was going to have handwriting recognition built-in.

Right now all we have is S Memo with an option to export as pdf, so I guess you could externally use Adobe for the OCR function.

I spent a few minutes playing with the S Memo app and I am not impressed. The biggest problem for me is if you touch the screen with your finger or side of your hand, it reads that and puts marks on the screen. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet and it uses a different stylus technology (Wacom?) so it only reads the stylus in well-written apps. So you can rest your hand on the screen and write in a more natural feeling way.

With the Note, I am trying to write without letting my hand touch the screen and my handwriting looks terrible. Even with a grid background, it is extremely difficult for me to write a line of text on a straight line without it drifting up. My penmanship is typically pretty good, but based on what I see on the screen of my Note, I think handwriting recognition software would have a hard time reaching a high accuracy rating.

The Note looks useful for quick things like adding a note to a photo and the like, but if you are looking for something to take large quantities of notes and then OCR them, I think you will be disappointed.

(Even my Lenovo tablet, which is much more oriented towards writing, is terrible with handwriting recognition, at least in the couple of apps I tried. It would try to do it in real time and change things as you were writing them. After playing with it a little, I turned it off. Fortunately, handwriting recognition wasn't important for what I wanted to do.)

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote