View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
However, in Dutch the IJ is not a combination of the letters I and J, but a single letter, the 'IJ' (or 'long Y', as opposed to the 'ei' diphthong which sounds the same and is called 'short Y'), lower case 'ij' which is supposed to be sorted with the 'Y' (which is called 'Y-grec' or 'Greek Y' in Dutch).
Not completely true...
I know that in the Netherlands, most people consider a 'IJ' as a modificated 'Y', and sort accordingly: IJzer comes after York in the Netherlands...
But in Belgium a IJ is considered as a combination of I and J, and words are sorted that way: IJzer comes before intussen in Flanders...

And... as far as I know... Dutch dictionaries like Van Dale (which is considered 'reference') do it the 'Belgian' way...

Last edited by AnneT; 12-28-2011 at 05:04 AM.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote