View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
1. Which root is the best to use and what does it do?
2. After rooting, will any apk work?
3. Will the e-reader included still function?
4. Is a file system manager required?
5. Is an apk launcher required?
6. Is a new home screen required?
7. If so, how is it installed?
As I remember from my nephew's Galaxy, Aldiko had a few more user options and would like to use this for reading as it has different background colors for epubs . Also I would like to add an avi player which I have found and a sudoku game and MP3 player.
I have no interest in internet browsing with the Pandigital unless needed to accomplish the installation of the apks.
Could some one help a new rooter accomplish these goals. Thanks
Dixie

I am using the Nchntrmn Experience from the SlateDroid forum. It doesn't change the original function of the PDN, just adds to it. The only "hardware" mod it does is to turn the volume buttons into "Menu/Back" buttons (there are other controls to adjust volume).

I still retain the ability to use the Pandigital Novel in its original ereader incarnation. I gain the option of switching the device over into an Android tablet with a different home screen. I can switch back and forth between the two "devices" at will. The ereader and the B&N store access still works. You can also run different ereaders in the Android tablet incarnation.

I do not have access to the Android Market(place?) specifically, but have access to many sites that carry the same APKs and can load them on the PDN. A lot of places just make their Android applications available on the Android Market (Amazon and Audible, for example) - but - those APKs are now available elsewhere on the net for download to devices that don't have Market accesss.

Not all APKs will work, mainly because they are for a higher version of Android. The white PDN runs Android 2.0, while the black PDN only runs version 1.5. Also, from my experience, some of the APKs out there are designed specifically for cell phone screens, so when you put them on the PDN, they only use a portion of the screen area. Since I don't want to deal with tiny screen images, those APKs get uninstalled from my PDN.

The mod I use already comes with a number of useful APKs preinstalled, including a few file managers and an app launcher, so there's no need to install another one unless there's one out there that you specifically want. The APKs that are preinstalled in the mod I use are sufficient to do most tasks on an Android tablet without adding anything else.

There are a couple of browsers already installed, so you don't have to worry about adding a new home screen for the Android tablet portion. I can play MP3s with a player already installed, ditto for YouTube videos. I can add audiobooks to it if I want.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote