View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #62
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcobb View Post
I just found this on a search here; I was all ready to write essentially the same thing for Android. Curious: how did your PDF conversions work out? I have a buttload of Marvel stuff in that format from when they were selling those DVDs with like 600 issues of Spiderman, 500 Ironman, etc. I also have a lot of Battle Angel Alita and Rurouni Kenshin stuff like that I want to convert for Nook.
Pdfs work just fine. Pdf processing, both as input (pdf -> image folder) and output (image folder -> pdf), is handled by the oh-so-awesome ImageMagick. Pdf as input was a bit harder than as output. I believe pdf is an open format so I could have written my handler from a tech doc (which is what I did for epub), but ImageMagick does a good job so I never bothered.

Quote:
I don't do Windows but can fire up a VM if need be...
No Windows required, Canti was written in Java so it runs on all major os's. ImageMagick also has install binaries for most os's.

Quote:
I am kinda in that same spot on my FOSS app; it works great at the cmd line (which is great for running multiple instances on headless boxes and a GUI would just kind of mess up), have had a few GUI requests but I put that task down below getting it working as best it can before worrying about a GUI. Does that limit my "market" or target audience? Probably but instead of writing it for other people, I wrote it because I needed something and just made the source available to others if they want and have the resources to use it...
I have a similar background. I wrote Canti for my own use, and when it was done I thought "hey, might as well post it online so that others who have a similar need but aren't programmers can enjoy it." For personal use I don't want a GUI, it will just slow me down both in development time and run time. If I make a gui, it will be to gain the experience. I don't have a target audience... my view is use Canti if you like it or don't.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote