View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Amazing rise of eBook sales in 2011 (USA)

Adult books
$99.5M in Jan 2012; $66.6M in Jan 2011; +49.4% increase

Children’s/Young Adult
$22.6M in Jan 2012; $3.9M in Jan 2011; +475.1% increase

Religious (new AAP categories)
$6.7M in Jan 2012; $2.7M in Jan 2011; +150.7% increase

Source: http://www.publishers.org/press/62/

I don't care much for young adult genre but while rise is good (kiddies are reading!) I don't like implications of it. Almost all of it must be from Amazon, Apple and B&N; so whichever the kid (or the patent) choose is probably got a customer for life. Way too much control for the bookseller. Maybe it is not an issue when you are a grown man who knows how the things are, but these are children.

Anyway, still good news. I just hope it is not all sparkling unvampires =)

This also means that we will see much more crappy novels for teenagers.

Last edited by GERGE; 03-30-2012 at 11:04 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote