Thread: Touch A Plea to Kobo
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Based on the several threads I've read on MR about people discussing this issue, my guess is that the Kobo software/firmware is fragile in terms of handling data of certain kinds that don't conform to what it expects. And then, once it encounters one of these "rogue" books, everything goes to heck after that.

I have only a few books on my KT so far, so I haven't encountered any issues, but I really do wonder if it's just a matter of time for me.

I agree that the Kobo devs really need to increase the robustness of the software if my estimation of the problem(s) is accurate. It's unacceptable for software to break down because of a single bad record, file, etc. Obviously, the way it should be handling things is to compartmentalize or transactionalize the interaction with each book, and then skip over problem books. It's bizarre that they would allow the entire DB or filesystem or whatever to get corrupt because of an attempt to load or process a bad book.

@therealjoeblow : I think it would be helpful if you could tell everyone where to get that one book that caused/triggered your problem. Maybe put it up for download, if possible (assuming it's not already available on another site). If I were a Kobo dev, I'd be really really interested to get my hands on that file, because it embodies a single data point related to the issue(s). As opposed to someone loading 30 books, and eventually finding the problem some time later.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote