View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I will say that I don't think David Duchovny has done himself any favors by reading his own book, actor or not. I've listened to good narrations from some actors, but have yet to listen to an audiobook read by the author which I thought successful.
I'm listening to one right now - The Return by Hisham Matar. It probably helps immensely that it's non-fiction, so it's mostly narrating his thoughts rather than narrating a storyline with many characters' voices, but I'd go so far as to say his narration makes it even better because it makes the book feel that much more personal (and I can trust he's pronouncing all the foreign people, places and words correctly).

I also remember listening to The Country Girls narrated by the author Edna O'Brien. It was back when I was still newer to audiobooks so I didn't think about it as much, but from what I remember the narration was only okay. Her voice was a bit weak and wavery. I also just recently finished Year of Wonders read by the author Geraldine Brooks, and oddly have the exact same vocal criticism of her reading as O'Brien's, but Brooks' narration is excoriated in the Audible ratings so I was willing to be empathetic to it since I didn't think it that bad.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote