View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I was just sitting there, like totally minding my own business or whatever, you know. And like, it was sooo funny, this totally old guy came up and I swear to god, like wanted to like draw me or whatever, and he was all like you're so pretty, oh you have beautiful lines, whatever that means, so full of fake artsy crap. Too weird. Nice try. Walk away, dude. LUSER!

OK, that was great!

I do have to say that I have met plenty of people by sketching them though. Actually I can't really think of a time I got turned down after I show them my sketchbook. It's best if your sketchbook has other portrait sketches that you have done. That way you can prove that you aren't a perv.

As I do the sketch, I talk to them and get to know them. The trick is you have to sketch pretty fast. I have found out that 99% of them say they would love to be an artist but that they have no talent. I then explain that it's really a matter of just learning the craft--which I believe by the way. Some people are born with a natural talent, but I wasn't. I just stuck with it and hey, what do ya know, 30 years later and I'm pretty passable at it.

Anyway, I have broken artist-ethics and sketched someone just to get a date. But I fess up when out on the date.

I've never been turned down on the sketch part, but plenty turned down on the date part. Having a sketchbook and charcoal doesn't attract the ladies quite as much as having a guitar. Darn it! But it's a really great way to get to know people...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote