View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I have never used the smashwords.com ebook site, but from what I just have gathered it has DRM-free ebooks which unfortunately are not in the .imp ebook format. That's no problem once you have downloaded and installed my freeware Mobi2IMP available here and download/buy a Kindle (.mobi) ebook format.
Yuk! Ouch!!

I just tried to convert a sample .mobi ebook and I had to go through hoops to make it work (sort of).

The samples I downloaded were either highly compressed (HuffDic compression which unfortunately Mobi2IMP doesn't handle) or encoded in UTF-8 that didn't convert well (has all sorts of extra characters around).

I used calibre to convert the .mobi into the .mobi format again in the hopes that a lot of the coding issues would have been "cleaned up" and then converted that re-converted .mobi. It was better, but not totally acceptable, to me at least.

Perhaps a different route (using the sample .epub instead) would yield better results, though, when the starting ebook format has this much "baggage", it isn't going to be easy whichever way gets you there!

Anyone done this type of conversion before?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote