View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 12:45 AM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Indeed I noted that we depend on the translations to English. I've watched some Chinese and Japanese films based on their legends (with subtitles, many in B&W). Some of which are accessible in English. Generally excellent compared to Disney syrup.
Personally, what I love about watching most subtitled movies is the sheer amusement from the (mis)translations. At times, I wonder if the major qualification for translating subtitles is not being fluent in either language. Some of this is due to trying to translate idioms but some seems more like trying to make sense out of a machine translation.

As for Disney syrup? Have you watched Chinese made martial arts movies? Japanese anime films? Film makers around the world have produced a lot of crap. If anything, Theodore Sturgeon was an optimist.

I repeat Sturgeon's Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of SF is crud. Using the same standards that categorize 90% of science fiction as trash, crud, or crap, it can be argued that 90% of film, literature, consumer goods, etc. is crap. In other words, the claim (or fact) that 90% of science fiction is crap is ultimately uninformative, because science fiction conforms to the same trends of quality as all other artforms. —Theodore Sturgeon
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote