View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I had a hard time focusing this month, with nothing to narrow it down. I chased several rabbits that didn't work out (price or length), particularly Ireland or women for March, and settled on a book that is related to neither but is someplace that's different from our usual and a genre (travel) we usually don't pursue.

City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi by William Dalrymple. I haven't read this, but I loved his To the Holy Mountain about Mount Athos.

From Goodreads:

Quote:
Sparkling with irrepressible wit, City of Djinns peels back the layers of Delhi's centuries-old history, revealing an extraordinary array of characters along the way-from eunuchs to descendants of great Moguls. With refreshingly open-minded curiosity, William Dalrymple explores the seven "dead" cities of Delhi as well as the eighth city-today's Delhi. Underlying his quest is the legend of the djinns, fire-formed spirits that are said to assure the city's Phoenix-like regeneration no matter how many times it is destroyed. Entertaining, fascinating, and informative, City of Djinns is an irresistible blend of research and adventure.
US$4.99; AU$9.99; CA$11.99; UKŁ6.49
352 pp.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote