View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I *guess* the reason is actually pretty simple.

The Kindles need to export a part of their storage via USB. Then again, Windows doesn't seem to like devices which do not contain a partition table, but directly a filesystem. Try it: take an old usb stick and mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb.

I think (assuming non-faulty memory ) that I've seen Windows accept such devices a few times, but simply not being able to use them most of the time. Windows clearly wants a partition table on a disk, even one with a single partition in it.

So there you have it. The easiest way to achieve this is to export the partition as a drive - and to create a partition table in the partition.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote