View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #24
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
This will seem off-topic, but it's peripherally, just hang on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Also news came out recently that they are scaling back on the features of the PS4 and their next portable game unit.
In their losses, Sony actually posted a millions-dollar profit in the PS3 division, and this comes after years of blogs, forums, and articles claiming the PS3 was a disaster, among other doom-and-gloom statements. And "scaling Back" isn't quite right, but that's another topic for ultra-geeks.... guilty!

As pointed out, the Earthquake and taxes were the primary causes of the loss. And all the attacks on the PS3 were wrong.

Now let's move to the Reader. History is repeating here: get out of the market; it's hopeless with the Nook's price-point, etc.

So lesson #1 is don't count Sony out. The PS3 was counted out, called far worse than the above, and it's profitable. Okay, that happens to be all the lessons.

I absolutely agree the Reader needs to drop its price. It's needed to for ages. Look at it compared to the Kindle. It is, however, a higher quality product in terms of weight, ergonomics and build. The utlra-light-weight is probably no longer an advantage (the Nook is probably quite light), nor is the pearl touch screen. But it's still ergonomic and solidly built metal. I would certainly continue buying Sony due to quality. But will others? There is something to be said for brand loyalty... but how much? I don't know.

Okay, so once again, I agree on the price issue. Hopefully Sony will too. But remember lesson #1: when everyone out there is writing off Sony's gaming division, they turn a profit.

It's very early to be digging the grave marked "Here lies Sony Reader." My shovel's staying in the garage, and I recommend yours does too.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote