View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #22
ChrisCs
ChrisCs doesn't litterChrisCs doesn't litter

Device: Sony (PRS-600 & 650), iPad + Marvin (Mini & Air 2), Kobo Glo HD
If it is the end of the line for the Sony readers, I'll be sorry to see them go.

When I was first researching e-Readers after starting with eBooks on my iPhone, I received a PRS-600 as a Christmas gift. It would not have been my first choice at the time but it quickly won me over with the ease of use, overall quality, and collections for organizing my books, and Calibre makes managing the collections easy. My only complaint was the glare on the touch screen so I've since switched to a 650.

From what I've read of the upcoming Kobo and Nook, the Kobo can organize the books by author and title, but I've spent a lot of time correcting title and author metadata in my books through Calibre, and I don't know if the Kobo will pick that up.

The Nook seems to want you to buy only from Barnes and Noble, with books from other stores given second class status on the device. The money I would save compared to a Sony reader at current pricing wouldn't pay for replacing my existing books with NookBooks. I like having choices when it comes to buying books, even if the Agency model from the publishers makes it harder to shop by price.

My experience with both Sony readers is that they 'just work'. Since I spend my days (and some nights) working as a computer programmer wrestling with technology that often doesn't work, when I am done working having technology that 'just works' can be worth more than money.
ChrisCs is offline   Reply With Quote