Thread: NIV Bible
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Question NIV Bible

After having some issues with the NIV bible I downloaded from Sony, I thought I would do a search here. It turns out that I am not alone when I think the navigation is very poor. Sherman has a REALLY well done KJV with an AWESOME TOC. I grabbed it, but the truth is, I prefer to read the NIV. So, I downloaded the Sony version.

With the knowledge that I would simply have to bear the navigation of the Sony ePUB, something even more terrible happened today. While in church, the pastor was sharing about Jacob and Esau. Braving the giggle from my wife as I pulled out my new PRS-600, I navigated to Genesis 33. As I was reading, I saw a VERY unusual anomaly in a passage. This is what the Sony eBook says:

Quote:
Gen 33:13 But Jacob said to him, "My LORD knows that the children are tender and that I must care for the ewes and cows that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard just one day, all the animals will die. 14 So let my LORD go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the droves before me and that of the children, until I come to my LORD in Seir."
The bold emphasis is wrong -- VERY wrong. This following, via BibleGateway.co, is correct with emphasis added again:

Quote:
Gen 33:13 But Jacob said to him, "My lord knows that the children are tender and that I must care for the ewes and cows that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard just one day, all the animals will die. 14 So let my lord go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the droves before me and that of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir."
For those who aren't aware, when you see LORD in all caps, it indicates God's name -- Yahweh. When you see lord in lower case, that is a term meaning the following: a person who has authority, control, or power over others; a master, chief, or ruler.

This totally destroys my trust in this eBook now. What else is wrong could be wrong? I personally think the Bible is very important and seeing this confusion in the text is a terrible thing.

I am going to contact All4Fun and see if his NIV Bible straight from the publisher has this problem also. Ugh.

With all that said, does anyone have any advice on where I can get a usable NIV bible that doesn't have the problem that this Sony edition has?

Last edited by bakura82; 02-28-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added some links.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote